Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Exit Stage Left

Summer is a great time of year no matter where you are, unless you are in Australia. The morning opens with a cool crisp breeze which quickly retreats and reveals a heat so thick, you could cut it with a knife. I always get lost in my summers. Whether it is on North Ave. beach with the skyline at your back, or the rocky shores of the great Danube, you get lost in time. The last few months here have flown by just as fast as the first 10. This would explain my neglect to this blog. I will try to write a quick update for all of you.





-First trip to the sea coast. Bulgaria has a lot of nature beauty that it can call its own. From the mountains to the sea, Bulgaria really does have rich bio-diversity. I took about a week off to travel up and down the Black Sea coast. Started off in Varna, headed down to Obzor and then finished at Sunny Beach.

Quick run down.

1)Speedos aren’t a suggestion, they are a requirement.

2)If you feel like you are too manly to wax, do it anyway. Odd glances, stares and little kids impersonating Chewbacca aren’t the best way to have a good time.

3)Salt water burns in the most unexpected places.

4)I can’t believe PCVs actually get to live on the sea coast, but then again, I bet people wonder how they let people live in such a beautiful city such as Belene.

5)British tourist, especially Sunny Beach tourist, will give my fellow countrymen from south of the Mason-Dixon line a run for their money when it comes to “rednecks”

6)5 Leva beer will NEVER be a justifiable price for Bulgarian beer, EVER!

7)The idea of being topless on a beach is a right of passage for women and should never be looked down upon.

8)Swedish people don’t all have blond hair.


-Metallica came and when. I rocked and rolled. I got in my first verbal argument with a Bulgarian. I tried to use my most colorful Bulgarian language while also maintain my cultural sensitivity. HAHAHA


-Team Belene basketball is still going strong. We held an official opening for the gym for our town holiday. The kids invited their parents and grandparents to the event where the mayor blessed us with his presence and participated in the opening. We had a small exhibition with the kids (dribbling, passing, shooting) and then the kids showed off their baller skills in a little 3 on 3 contest. The kids were very nervous, but everything turned out well. We are still a long way away from a contest with a formidable opponent.


-Received funding for the organization and implementation of a Scouting program for the youth of Belene. Yes, that’s right. I will take my Cub scout skills and put them to the test as our town tries make some Scouts out of the youth. I know there are some Eagle scouts out there, but honestly now, who would win in a fight, an Eagle or a Cub? Think about it.


-Snoop-a-Loop Tomorrow


Grab your green Hat!!!


-Mid-Service Conference is in a week. It has been 14 months already? Damn.


-Home visitation rights. The month of October will see the return of Chase Morgan to the US of A. Tons of Polish Sausage, Bratwurst, Italian Beef, Pizza, Fajitas and Old Style beer will be consumed. Hugs and kisses handed out, along with a typed one page summary about my time here that will be handed out when someone asks, “So, what are you doing over there?” Mixed emotions about going home. On one hand, I am excited to see everyone, on the other, I am nervous. I guess we will see.


-And last but not least, the shameless promotion of our newest endeavor…

I really don’t like asking people for money or even putting someone in a position were they my feel obligated to give money. Despite this, after consulting people from home, I decided to bring this project to the forefront of friends and family at home. Here is a summary of the project that we are trying to realize in Belene:

Community Youth Center

“A community youth center is a way for the youth to learn new, valuable skills that will enable them to succeed in the ever changing world. A community youth center will teach youth leadership and provide civic education. Our town currently has a building that is used for youth and sporting activities. The building has three rooms, which are empty, that need to be remodeled in order to provide adequate facilities to the children. This project aims to remodel a room in the youth center and create an activities room in which children can come and spend their free time.

Programs held here will allow for vocational, life skills, job preparation and technology skills training. The center will also be a place where the youth can learn about nutrition and health, arts and crafts and recreational athletics and games. We will use computers and audio/visual equipment, such as a white board, dvd player and TV, to enhance the effectiveness of the trainings.

As stated before, the town has a room that can be used for the creation of a youth center, but it lacks the proper equipment and materials to furnish the room. The funds will go towards creating a community-centered youth institution that is both appealing and inspirational to the youth. The room will be under the supervision of Municipal center’s employees. The Municipal center will also work to design and create programs to aid the development of the youth in the community.”


https://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=resources.donors.contribute.projDetail&projdesc=313-110


The directions are pretty straight forward. I really suggest you check out and read some of the other volunteers’ projects that are being realized across the world.

Now, I know that most of you pay taxes and also that some of you donate some of your money to local charities, Red Cross, and other Non-Profit orgs. These donations, as you well know, fall under the tax deductions part of your tax filing. This means that instead of paying your required amount to Uncle Sam, you can distribute it as you see fit (qualified orgs only). I recommend that if you haven’t taking advantage of this already, do it in the future. Not just to this program, but others that you see worthy.

Why donate to this Community Youth Center halfway across the world? A palace you will probably never see, kids that you will never meet? Well, I really don’t have an answer for you. The only thing that I can say is that this center (total of $5,000) will be applied to just that, a youth center. Nothing else. No one is getting paid, there are no “administrative costs” or “utility costs”. The funds are applied to the youth center which will directly affect the youth of this town.

Every bit helps, and we thank you in advance for your support.

Ok, enough from me. Again, my advance apologies for the halftime philanthropic drive. I hope it wasn’t as bad as those TV commercials you see on public television or the door to door salesperson.

Take care, I will talk to you (or see you) soon, Stay Classy Chicago

Chase





3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Chase,

What you are doing is great. I have just one small remark:
"A palace you will probably never see, kids that you will never meet?"

You should probably change pAlace to place to avoid somebody thinking you are building a palace and such lol.

Once again, I admire your effort! Thanks!

p.s. You can also delete this comment.

Moche said...

Hi Chase:
My name is Michele and I am an RPCV (Kenya) living in Sofia (my husband is Bulgarian). I was looking at the list of projects listed on the PC website (We are thinking about helping to sponsor a project)and came across yours.

I was a bit confused. In the beginning, you say that there is a building with three rooms to renovate, but you say later on in the proposal that there is one room in a building.

Can you maybe clarify exactly what you are doing?
Regards,
Michele

Chase said...

Michele,

Thank you for your comment. It is great to see that you and your husband are looking to help out with some Peace Corps Projects in Bulgaria. I would like to talk to you more about our project that is on going and try to explain our project more in depth. If you could leave your contact information, or anything in which I could send you more information I would be very pleased.

Thank you again,

Chase

 

Chasing Bulgaria © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness