Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Belene Basketball Baby

I've try to stray away from work related blog posts, though I have written about work experiences in the past. I don't really know if there is a reason for this, but I think I might try throwing in a post or two about work. I guess I have been trying to keep everything that I do here secret and hidden from the PC. I want them to think that I do as little as possible and I am just a Voluntourist. Who knows, but here goes nothing.




My counterpart came across an article in the paper a few months ago, around April. It was in the Peace Corps monthly newsletter that goes out to all volunteers' counterparts. He spotted a interesting article about an organization that was looking to fund basketball programs in Bulgaria. Wow, I thought, this is a project that is right up my alley. Balls and Baskets, what a combo. The foundation was called the Silver Lining Foundation. The foundation was undertaken by a gentleman by the name of Terry Sivesind. I grabbed the article and quickly skedaddled to the computer. I typed up a inquiry email to see if this was just some bogus article or if this guy was really going to fund such a project.

A couple of weeks later, to my surprise, Terry had responded. Not only was a surprised that he responded, but also with the speed in which he did. Since being here, I have learned that patience truly is a virtue. Communications back and forth then ensued. The idea was developed, with the help of a group of school teachers and a couple of local basketball players, to provide new equipment (hoops, basketballs, jerseys, etc.) in order to start a basketball team in Belene. They felt that it was imperative to the community to create and maintain youth programs in order to develop the children into productive members of the community. Sports teams, along with organized activities, were a means to achieve youth development in the community. Build team unity, sportsmanship, confidence, blah, blah, blah. Though there wasn't a "Formal" report made, documentation and writing was still involved. Going the "Non-Formal" way enabled us the ability to receive funds within 2 weeks. Even better, we were able to completely implement and care out all of our goals for the project within 2 months. Total funds, about $5,000.

Below are a picture journal of the process and the actual goals of the project.

Part One of the project: The Build

Here is the actual sports hall. If it looks new, it is. A Bulgarian ministry funded for the remodeling of the gym, but did not want to provide money to actually equip the hall. What a concept! Here is an awesome gym, with nothing in it, Now go develop so kids. Това е България!



Here are some picture of the actual instillation of the hoops and volleyball nets:

What a mess. This whole process took 6 Bulgarian construction workers 2 days. I wonder if they were Union?



OSHA who?



That's right, In ground Volleyball poles. You have to love Дупки.



Firefighters scaling the wall to attach bolts for the hoops, about 20 meters high.



These hoops are from Italy (DLO) and I was told the first in Bulgaria. Be jealous.



So that was the first part of the project, the build. We installed two basketball hoops with plexiglass backboards and professional rims. We also put in two volleyball poles and two handball post. It turned out really good.

Part two of the Project: Start a freakin team!!

So, as a "facilitator" of this project, I was not alone in this process. Of course, my counterpart from the Municipality (Yuilyan) helped with the idea building and writing of the project and my other counterpart from ADO (Peter) became a coach. Peter was to be the coach of the girls team and I was to coach the guys. We also had an another coach, Beev, who helped on both teams. We got together, went to the local schools, discos, bars, drunk tanks and strip clubs to recruit any 8-14 year olds we could find. We were pretty nervous for the first month because we weren't going to have any basketball hoops or equipment. Just two used basketballs, Peter manly appearance, and duct tape. After intense recruiting, the first practice drew about 25 kids. Not bad for the first time.

You have to realize that basketball is not a "household" sport in Bulgaria. Though a few people do play, Bulgaria is like the rest of the world. Soccer is the sport of choice. The first practice was, entertaining to say the least. The kids really didn't know what they were doing, but really tried hard. After a few practices, they actually started to look a little bit better. Now, time for the hoops.

First Practice with Hoops:

This kid's first shot, no rim, no backboard, nothing but air. Peter is there with his cutoff.


Beev teaching the girls how to pass. They are actually pretty fashionable when it comes to Basketball attire.



Not bad, He almost got rim.




Part Three of the Project: I guess we should dress the part.

With a group of willing subjects, it was time to get some proper attire for the team. These pictures below bring us to the close of this chapter in the basketball project.

I think this kid is throwing up the shocker?



Blue and White it is.



the 8-10 year olds. Bad Ass. Oh, if you look at the jerseys, they are about 4 sizes to big for the young guys. Don't worry, they will grow into them.



And now, your starting squad for the Belene Mosquitoes. Photos are available in Wallet size and 8 by 10.




The next step is to line up some games. Right now, we practice twice a week for one hour. The kids still come, and we get about one or two new people every week. I am now fielding any challenges from other Volunteers. If you want to run your squad against the fierce mosquitoes, just let me know.

So that it. A short and simple way of explaining how projects are written and actually carried out. I tried not to put in bullshit about difficulties (communication, community involvement, selling the idea to the mayor, etc.) because I really don't think that is important for you guys to read. All the volunteers go through some difficulties with projects like this. As it goes in all aspects of life, no matter how difficult or impossible an idea looks, its always achievable. I came here as a Business Advising volunteer, but now, I am starting to feel like a Youth Development volunteer. Not so bad in my book. That is it for this post, hopefully I will have one soon about the 4th of July weekend.

The kids of Belene want to say Thank You to Mr. Terry Sivesind and the Silver Lining Foundation.

Stay classy Chicago!! and Go CUBS!





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Браво Чейс!

Unknown said...

Hey Chase,

It looks GREAT! I know how you love basketball and kids. Great endeavor for you. Have fun!

Love - Mom

Unknown said...

THANK YOU FOR THE CALL -- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! ENJOY THE CONCERT & KEEP ON LIVIN IT!!

Dimitar T Naydenov said...

Great job, Chase! I am pretty impressed of what guys like you and Peter have done. The world needs more people like you so that it's warfree and in harmony.

Anonymous said...

Hi Chase, keep chasing BG! ;)

What you, Peter and Beev have done is simply awesome!

I thought I should let you know there are many people who admire and envy you. :)

I hope some other volunteer will accept the challange to come out with a decent rival for The Fierce belene Mosquitoes...

Hm, I wonder if Tye could do something with the kids in Dolno Ezerovo - here, in Burgas...

Anonymous said...

Real nice =)

Unknown said...

Hey Chase,

Very cool! I've been keeping up with all your adventures and it seems like you have found your niche in life, keep up all the great work. BTW Go Whites Sox they are standing in 1st place along with the other team you mentioned and you have to give credit where credit its due.

Love,
Mar-Bear

 

Chasing Bulgaria © 2008. Chaotic Soul :: Converted by Randomness